Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sunrise Reno

I got up early this morning to watch the sunrise. I don't know why, it just seemed like a fun thing to do. I might have enjoyed it more if it wasn't almost 40 minutes late.

I checked the Reno-Gazette Journal to find out when the sun was supposed to rise so I could get up a few minutes early. I didn't want to miss anything. This morning sunrise was listed as 6:17 a.m. I got up ten minutes early and was waiting in the back yard when the appointed time came. It was light at a quarter after six but there was definitely no sun to be seen.

I doubt there was anywhere in the valley where the sun was actually visible. This is what the eastern horizon looked like at 6:17 this morning. Light yes. Sun, no.

pre sunrise

After thirty-eight minutes of waiting the sun finally poked up and shed some light on me. I don't know how the sunrise is calculated but obviously, nobody accounted for mountains. I could understand this mistake in a global website or averages from somewhere that was completely flat. I expected something more accurate from the local newspaper.

sunrise Reno - 40 minutes late

sunrise Reno from across the street

I have to admit that the view was worth it but, next time I get up to watch the sunrise I'll plan to be my usual, 30 minutes late.

No comments:

Post a Comment